Do you want to disable or turn off comments in WordPress permanently? In this article, we will help you to resolve this issue.
WordPress comments can help you to improve your article and also help you to interact with your site’s visitors to have a discussion. However, besides some benefits of using WordPress comments, there are some specific cons of using WordPress comment section, you may want to turn off or disable the WordPress comment section. Here the following reasons why you may want to hide your comment section.
1. Maybe you have a small business website with some static pages like services, about us, contact us, about me. In such cases, you may want to hide your comment section.
2. If you are receiving tons of spammy comments in your site, you may want to disable the comment section to prevent spam. Although there are some other techniques to protect your website from spam, disabling the comment section will completely protect your site from spam.
3. In other cases, sometimes the site visitors put offensive and hurtful comments. It will hurt your real visitors. More than that, to reply and moderate comments take lots of your time. In that case, to save your time, you may want to disable or hide your comments section.
For any reason, if you want to disable WordPress comments, follow steps below.
Disable Comments on All Future Posts and Pages
WordPress has an inbuilt feature for disabling comments, and you can quickly turn off comments on all future posts and pages. To do that, let’s follow the steps below.
1. Login to your WordPress dashboard.
2. On your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Settings >> Discussion section from the left sidebar of your admin panel.
3. Uncheck the option called ‘Allow people to post comments on articles’ as you see in the picture below.
4. Click on ‘Save Changes’.
This will disable comments on all the future posts and pages on your WordPress site. However, this will not work on existing posts and pages on your website.
If you want to disable comments on the existing WordPress posts and pages, don’t stop reading this article. We have covered that in the following section.
Disable Comments on a Specific Post and Page
If you chose not to disable comments on all the future posts and pages automatically, you could turn off comments for a specific post or Page. Let’s get started.
1. Go to your WordPress dashboard.
2. On your WordPress dashboard, go to Posts >> All Posts (or Pages >> All Pages) from the left sidebar.
3. Click on Edit link of a specific post you wish to disable comments. You will find the edit link of a specific post or page when you will hover your cursor over the title of a post or page.
4. Scroll down to the Discussion section, uncheck the ‘Allow Comments’ box. If you don’t see the ‘Discussion’ box, click ‘Screen Options’ in the upper right corner and make sure the box next to ‘Discussion’ is checked.
6. Don’t forget to click on Update or Save Draft (For New Post) to save the changes.
Disable/Turn Off Comments on all Posts and Pages
If you want to disable/turn off WordPress comments on all posts and pages without doing it individually for each post and page, follow the steps below.
1. Go to Posts >> All Posts (or Pages >> All Pages) from the left sidebar.
2. Check the box next to the posts or Pages on which you want to disable comments. Select Edit from Bulk Actions dropdown box and Click on ‘Apply.’
3. Select ‘Do Not Allow’ next in the Comments dropdown box.
4. Click on Update
This will disable comments on all your selected posts and pages. You may apply this method to disable comments on all of your existing posts.
Disable Comments on Media
If you want to disable comments on media or attachment, follow the steps below.
1. On your WordPress dashboard, go to Media >> Library
2. Uncheck the Allow comments box under ‘Discussion’ section, just like disabling comments specific posts or pages page in WordPress.
3. Click on ‘Update’
If you don’t want to turn off comments manually on individual media attachment files, you may disable comments on all media attachments using Disable Comments plugin.
Disable Comments in WordPress Using a Plugin
Don’t want to do it manually? The are many plugins available to disable comments on your WordPress. Here, we will show you how to disable WordPress comments using the ‘Disable Comments plugin’.
1. Install and activate the Disable Comments plugin
2. Go to Settings >> Disable Comments from the left sidebar
3. On your Disable Comments plugin settings page, if you select the first option, it will disable comments everywhere. Using the second option, you will able to selectively disable comments on your posts, pages, or media.
Hope, from this article, you have learned how to disable comments in WordPress. If you have some doubts on disabling WordPress comments, comment below.
————-See Also: Recommended Articles———————
- HOW TO Hide Featured Images on Individual Posts in WordPress
- HOW TO Disable Search Engine Indexing for WordPress Website
- Best Free WordPress Themes with 5 Stars Ratings (Responsive, SEO Optimized)
- Best Child Themes from StudioPress
- How to Add Facebook Like Box on WordPress Site